(OrganicJar) I’m a huge fan of nut milks especially because they’re so much healthier than dairy milk and taste amazing! I created a quick, simple video with my friend Lisa Paris explaining just how easy it is to make your own almond nut milk.
Almonds are an incredible food! They were one of the first cultivated nuts on earth and are so rich with nutrients. Its important to mention that you need to be buying ‘raw’ organic almonds to get them most nutrients from them.
However, many don’t know that a law was passed a few years ago requiring all almonds to be pasteurized. The worst part is they can still legally be labeled as raw! If you didn’t know this, make sure to check out an article I wrote all about it here: Raw Almonds Are Illegal The good news is there are 2 loopholes that still allow you to purchase truly raw almonds, so make sure to check that article out.
Okay, back to our amazing Almond Nut Milk! Here’s what you’ll need to make this:
- 2 Cups – Raw Organic Almonds
- 4 Cups – Purified Water
- 2 Pitted Dates
- 1 tsp – Vanilla Extract
- A Dash of Cinnamon (optional)
- Nut Milk Bag / Cheesecloth (or as Lisa mentioned a cheap ‘Paint Strainer’ found at any hardware store)
- Soak the almonds in 2 cups water for 24 hours; rinse well and discard soaked water (forgot to mention this in the video). Why you need to soak your almonds: Raw organic almonds have a natural growth inhibitor on the outside that is toxic — not deadly, but not pleasant, especially for sensitive individuals. The 24 hour soaking removes this. I usually change the water several times, just to remove the toxins.
- Blend: Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain: Strain through a nut milk bag. You can use a nylon bag designed for this purpose, a hemp bag designed for sprouting, a cheese cloth or even a paint strainer found at any local hardware store.
- Enjoy! The liquid is the milk. The pulp has plenty of nutrition and uses.
Help Others! Tells Us How You Use Your Almond Pulp!
Check out more great articles that will empower you to make positive changes in your health!
Comments: 7 | Post a Comment | Trackback URL
Trackbacks: 3 | Trackback URL
- From Tweets that mention How to Make a Nut Milk - Almond Milk -- Topsy.com on Nov 25, 2009
- From uberVU - social comments on Nov 25, 2009
- From Content Beauty / Wellbeing Blog | Organic Skincare | Organic Make-Up - How to Make a Nut Milk on Apr 4, 2010