(OrganicJar) Long known for its antioxidants, immune boosting and, most recently, antihypertensive properties, black tea could have another health benefit. Black tea may be used to control diabetes, according to a study in the Journal of Food Science, published by the Institute of Food Technologists.
Next to water, tea is the second most consumed beverage in the world. Researchers from the Tianjin Key Laboratory in China studied the polysaccharide levels of green, oolong and black teas and whether they could be used to treat diabetes. Polysaccharides, a type of carbohydrate that includes starch and cellulose, may benefit people with diabetes because they help retard absorption of glucose.
The researchers found that of the three teas, the polysaccharides in black tea had the most glucose-inhibiting properties. The black tea polysaccharides also showed the highest scavenging effect on free radicals, which are involved in the onset of diseases such as cancer and rheumatoid arthritis.
“Many efforts have been made to search for effective glucose inhibitors from natural materials,” says lead researcher Haixia Chen. “There is a potential for exploitation of black tea polysaccharide in managing diabetes.”
10 Health Benefits of Drinking Black Tea:
- Studies continue to show that tea is very good for you, and has some amazing health properties that cannot be ignored.
- Black teas contain antioxidants which prevent the damage caused by free radicals which can lead to numerous diseases.
- Drinking black teas can help to reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes, as it helps to expand the arteries, which increases blood flow to the heart.
- Research has shown the black tea can be used in the fight against cancer. Properties of the tea slow down the growth of cancerous cells without destroying healthy cells.
- Tea is also believed to help to delay the aging process. Nowadays there are many anti aging creams and lotions that contain tea extracts to help the skin look younger.
- Drinking black tea can help to burn fat and speed up metabolism. This makes it an ideal drink for those who are looking to lose weight, or who exercise regularly.
- Drinking tea such as black and green tea helps to reduce bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol.
- Tea contains fluoride, which can help to prevent tooth decay by strengthening tooth enamel. (I personally believe fluoride to be dangerous, and even though tea does contain a small amount of fluoride, you can minimize this by buying young organic tea, and steeping for only 2 minutes or less)
- For those people with diabetes, drinking tea can help to decrease glucose levels, which can reduce the risk of cataracts, and other conditions brought about by diabetes.
- Investigations have shown that the benefits of black tea are lessened when milk is added. So, in order to take advantage of the amazing health benefits of this tea, it’s recommended that you don’t take your tea with milk or sugar.
Leave a Comment and Tell Us Your Favorite Tea?
Fatal error: Exception thrown without a stack frame in Unknown on line 0