(OrganicJar) Rooibos (pronounced ROY-boss) appears to rival the health benefits of green, red and black tea. A favorite among South Africans for years, the tea is made from Aspalathus Linearis, an indigenous shrub that grows only in the mountainous region close to the Cape of Good Hope.
The beverage is said to have 50% more antioxidants than are found in green tea and new research is showing rooibos helps delay the aging process! The aging of our bodies is caused by toxic compounds called free radicals which are produced as a by-product of normal cell function. These free radicals attack our healthy cells. Over our lifetime this damage contributes to aging and our immune system weakens. Recently, Japanese scientists have found that Rooibos tea contains a mimic of the enzyme Super Oxide Dismutase (S.O.D.), an antioxidant which attacks the free radicals and limits their damaging effects.
Rooibos tea contains no colors, additives or preservatives. It helps to relieve insomnia, irritability, headaches, stomach ulcers, nausea, constipation, and heartburn. It also shows anti-mutagenic, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral activity.
Rooibos contains alpha hydroxy acid and zinc for healthy, smooth skin. This wonder tea is especially useful when brewed and applied to skin irritations like itchy skin, eczema, sunburns, diaper rash and acne.
More Amazing Benefits of Rooibos Tea!
- Helps to give you strong bones and teeth because of its calcium, manganese and fluoride content.
- Is often prescribed for nervous tension and mild depression as it makes a relaxing sedative.
- Helps to control your appetite thus beneficial in weight loss.
- Contains magnesium which is necessary for a healthy nervous system.
- Helps pacify infants with colic, stomach cramps and sleeping problems. Simply mix some Rooibos tea with expressed breast milk or formula. It is 100% natural with no colorants or preservatives.
- Contains no oxalic acid and can therefore be enjoyed by persons suffering from kidney stones.
- Put used rooibos tea bags in the refrigerator or freezer. After a hard day’s work, put on tired or red eyes to soothe and relax.
- Increases the absorption of iron in the body.
- Makes a great thirst-quencher and sport drink. Because of its mineral content of iron, potassium, zinc, manganese and sodium, it restores the body’s equilibrium after strenuous exercise.
- Drink it hot or cold, with or without milk, sugar or honey. Add lemon or mix it with fruit juices for a lovely blend. Rooibos tea is also used in cooking and baking. It replaces the liquid content in recipes for soups, marinades, sauces, stews and cakes for added flavor and nutrition.
- And Rooibos tastes divine! It is less bitter than most teas.
Rooibos is my new favorite tea and it’s very versatile! I brew it for about 4 minutes, then add a splash of organic hemp milk, with some raw honey….delicious! With its many positive attributes, Rooibos tea is a great choice of drink for health conscious people and a superfood we should all consume! I haven’t found it in many stores, but there are lots of places online, make sure its 100% organic!
Would love to know how others make there perfect cup of Rooibos?
Check out more great articles that will empower you to make positive changes in your health!