• Pin It
  • Email Email
  • Print Print
Common Food Ingredient L-Cysteine Linked to Heart Disease

Common Food Ingredient L-Cysteine Linked to Heart Disease

Posted in Health & Nutrition
Join OrganicJar today and learn more about the power of your health.

Get the latest news on health, nutrition, organic food, superfoods, green living, natural cures, product reviews and more! This information will empower you to make positive changes in your life.

Subscribe to the OrganicJar.com newsletter and learn tons more about the health benefits of superfoods!
Common Food Ingredient L-Cysteine Linked to Heart Disease
(OrganicJar) L-Cystine or Cystine or Cysteine is a (non-essential) amino acid that’s found in proteins. It’s a common dough conditioner and flavor enhancer in human and pet foods. You’ll find it in everything from pizza to MCDonald’s hamburgers. It is derived from Chinese duck feathers approximately 80% of the time, the other 20% is human hair. L-cysteine can be manufactured synthetically either through a microbial fermentation process using corn sugar as the growth medium or a biochemical transformation brought about by non-animal enzymes. However Since both forms are expensive, they are not commonly used.

Why this is bad to consume:

When we consume cystine, our body makes another amino acid called homocysteine. Studies have shown that too much homocysteine in the blood relates to a higher risk of heart disease, stroke and vascular disease. Heart disease is now believed much more closely linked to high levels of homocysteine than high levels of cholesterol. Homocysteine levels are strongly influenced by diet. Which is why a diet of processed foods is not healthy. However in today’s society it’s tough to ‘not’ eat processed foods, so to counter act the homocysteine you need to make sure you get enough folic acid, vitamins B6 and B12 in your diet. These will help break down homocysteine in the body. Foods high in folic acid and B12 include green, leafy vegetables and grains. Foods high in B6 are tuna and bananas. Source: americanheart.org Make sure to sign up for my health newsletter! Your body will thank you.

Related Articles:

Check out more great articles that will empower you to make positive changes in your health!

  • Find More Articles on OrganicJar.com
Read More About:

RSSComments: 5  |  Post a Comment  |  Trackback URL

  1. Processed foods are bad news…usually anything that comes in a box, bag or can.

  2. Atkins Diet have helped me a lot to maintain a very good physique. My mom is also on an Atkins Diet. ‘

  3. Thomas Kerr, Craig Paterson, ooh read this……yuck. so happy that l know how to cook from scratch!

  4. maditos pork asen esto en poner veneno ebla comida , claro nomas dn #$$$$$, parak las corporacione se callen y la fda aprueba todo lok sale al mercado sabiendo lok asen parak sus prductos se vndad , por eso buskmos informacion ellos nos enferman nos mantienn con medicamentos controlandonos , astak yano servimos esto es puro negocio knose dan cuenta ,.

  5. L-Cysteine is an amino acid that is closely related to Cystine. Cystine contains sulfur and is formed by two molecules of L-Cysteine. L-Cysteine is also a sulfur containing amino acid. It is used to manufacture L-glutathione and L-taurine.`,:”

    With appreciation http://foodsupplementdigest.com/dhea-dosage/

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.

Subscribe To OrganicJar

Support OrganicJar Sponsors